Thursday, August 7, 2008

Gifted Enrichment

I had to take all of Jourdyn's paperwork over to the school to enroll her a few weeks back. They were going to enroll her as in regular classes and then later change her after they tested her for their gifted enrichment program.

I was quite stressed about this. Not only would she be starting a new school, but she would at some point have to switch classes mid-stream.

Well, being the good mom that I am (sometimes) I have every achievement test Jourdyn has taken from first grade to fifth grade. So when I went to the enrollment meeting I took them with me! The enrollment secretary took copies (of all of them!) and then forwarded them to the GT coordinator.

I hadn't heard anything back, and our friend, Connie is the secretary at the school Jourdyn will be going. When I asked her last week. She hadn't heard anything either. So today I called.

Thankfully, all of Jourdyn's tests were not only recent enough but also her scores were good enough to immediately put her into the GT classes. So she will not have to change classes midstream. She will start out in the GT classes from day one.

I didn't doubt this would happen. I was concerned that they wouldn't recognize her tests scores from her previous schools. But they did! And she doesn't have to take any other tests! YEAH!!!!

The coordinator seemed just as excited as I was. Rob says she probably didn't believe me when I talked to her weeks ago and I said Jourdyn was gifted. He thinks that she probably meets alot of parents that come from private to public that think their kids are gifted and really aren't. So it was probably just as thrilling for her to finally have one that was. I think that she was excited because she didn't have to do the extra work of testing Jourdyn again! I would be excited because of less work!

Anyways, she's in! And I'm excited, proud, anxious, the list goes on! And by the way, God has really given me a peace about this transition. It still is scary, but I know He is in control and He has His eye on my baby sparrow!!!!

2 comments:

Julie said...

Very cool! We've got a bunch of gifted kids in our family! It took me awhile, but I think we've found Bro's gifts...

James and Sue MacFarlane said...

Great Jourdyn! Sharon beprepared this time flies and soon your baby sparrow will soar like and eagle... Love you all!

 
Template by Exotic Mommie and by Garcya