Saturday, January 9, 2010

For the birds....


We have a big backyard and only one tree in it. Since we've moved in I have contemplated having the tree cut down. It creates a lot of mess in the fall with the leaves and all. And in the summer it seems to always through shade in the places I want it least!
Slowly we have added bird-feeders and the kids homemade birdhouses. Just this fall we added a squirrel feeder; after watching our squirrels hang like trapeze artists from the suets.
Now I couldn't imagine looking out my kitchen window and seeing any other than that old tree and all of the wonderful wildlife that graces it everyday. We have 6 bluejays, a mating pair of cardinals, mating downy woodpeckers, mating pair of Northern "Yellow-shafted" flickers, purple martins, swallows, sparrows, finches, and even 3 squirrels who frequent our feeders. We have seen red-tail hawks perched on our fence waiting to catch some prey. And today we had a small hawk of some type try to fly through our sliding doors. He hit the glass pretty hard, but was okay!
These are just a couple of pictures I took today of our wildlife in our tree!

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

That would be beautiful to see out my window! We have lots of trees but only see wildlife in the the other seasons... winter we don't see much. But they know I don't feed them.... I should...

James and Sue MacFarlane said...

our squirrel broke our light outside the door by jumping on it to get nuts

 
Template by Exotic Mommie and by Garcya