Wednesday, May 7, 2008

A Stay-at-Home-Mom

Up until four years ago, when our second daughter, Nadine was born I worked outside of the home, you know at a job that I actually received a paycheck for. When she arrived many things were going on in our lives and we were lead to the decision for me to stay home, instead of working. Since her birth and Rowan's subsequent arrival I have been a stay-at-home mom (SAHM). It seems like almost daily I find myself having to defend our choice for me to be a SAHM. So I'm just going to give you some of my thoughts on this.

It is assumed that my ability to stay-at-home is only a benefit of having a husband who makes extraordinary amounts of money or that our family is some how not hurting financially for our choice. Being a SAHM is a sacrifice that I make. More importantly, it is a sacrifice that Rob makes. Rob works almost incessant overtime just to pay our bills. He goes without many things from as simple as a much needed haircut to as extravagent as the motorcycle he's been dreaming of for over a decade. And God love him because I know I do, he doesn't complain. He bears the responsibility for five mouths and two dogs, and always makes sure that his family has before he does.

Being a SAHM has, at least in my case, nothing to do with our financial peace, because there is none in our home. We, like any other family, live paycheck to paycheck and many times our money runs out before the next amount arrives. Or as Dave Ramsey says, "there's a lot more month left at the end of our paycheck!"

Being a SAHM is a blessing that I never imagined. If you had asked me 12 years ago if I thought I would ever be a SAHM, I would have laughed at you. God has blessed my family beyond comparison and He has blessed me in ways I can't even begin to explain. The day is coming that I will no longer be able to stay home with my children. I know this is a reality because of the call that is on my life, so until then I will cherish each day that I have, as tough as they sometimes are, as a SAHM.

And just because I am at home that doesn't mean that I'm not busy. I have little time, lots to do and little ones to do it with! Praise God that He alone sustains me! Because there are many days that it would just be easier to get a job...

1 comments:

James and Sue MacFarlane said...

I remember the year God allowed me to be home with 3 lovely kids. We pray for you each day as God moves through you.

 
Template by Exotic Mommie and by Garcya