Wednesday, November 5, 2008

A New President

Surprisingly, I have remained quite silent this election season (and I say quite because I have played quite the antagonizer recently). There are a couple of reasons for my abstinence in this election:

1) I'm learning that my political beliefs are less important than my effectiveness as a disciple for Christ, and even more ineffective when partnered with my calling to find the lost and missing. When I sign my name to the dotted line and partner a political agenda with my intent to serve Christ by loving and reaching all I can, then I not only sign up for the things that I find morally/politically right about a particular candidate but I also attach myself to things that perhaps I don't agree with and perhaps just aren't right. Does this mean I didn't vote? No, I voted. Does it mean that I don't give my opinion when asked? I think I did with grace in most cases or at least satire, because when we truly look at the Bible, it could be argued that there are arguments for both sides, that neither party is absolutely correct when it comes to morals/biblical values. But I honestly believe that it is more important for me to build bridges with those who do not know Christ and I've learned that in our current political climate, my putting signs in my yard, pins on my shirt, or stickers on my car for either candidate would have burnt many bridges and hinder my calling.

2) I've also learned that "God sets up kings and deposes them and gives wisdom to the wise and knowledge to the discerning." Daniel 2:21 And no matter the outcome of this election or any, He is in control and He promises that He is working things out for the good of all who love him. (Ephesians 1:11/Romans 8:28) This doesn't mean that I don't see reason to vote. We have all the reason in the world to get out and vote. But I believe that people need to know what they are voting for and for whom they are voting. People fought hard for our right to vote, in wars that freed our great nation and in civil rights movements that gave women particularly the right to vote - we, as Americans owe it to those predecesors to not only vote but to have an informed vote and to vote for our core beliefs and values. All that said, in the end, God knows what he is doing and I trust Him. "Let the beloved of the Lord rest secure in Him, for He shields him all day long, and the one the Lord loves rests between His shoulders." Deuteronomy 33:12

So given all that...what you need to know is that today America has a new President-Elect - Barack Obama. Today, I have a new President-Elect, as do you. I am anxious to see what the Lord is going to do with Barack Obama. And there is one thing that I know for a fact we should all be doing. We should be praying for our new President-elect, Barack Obama and our VP-elect, Joe Biden.

"I urge, then, first of all, that requests, prayers, intercession and thanksgiving be made for everyone— for kings and all those in authority, that we may live peaceful and quiet lives in all godliness and holiness. This is good, and pleases God our Savior, who wants all men to be saved and to come to a knowledge of the truth. For there is one God and one mediator between God and men, the man Christ Jesus, who gave himself as a ransom for all men—the testimony given in its proper time. And for this purpose I was appointed a herald and an apostle—I am telling the truth, I am not lying—and a teacher of the true faith to the Gentiles. I want men everywhere to lift up holy hands in prayer, without anger or disputing." ~ I Timothy 2:1-8

2 comments:

TakeShapewithTricia said...

Very well stated, thank you. I am prayerful, and know that my hope is not in any man. I am praying for the Lord to be merciful, to awaken His bride to pray, and bring revival to the Nation I love.

James and Sue MacFarlane said...

You do have a gift with words and we are praying for our nation and all lost souls.. Those we can reach we will speak out before the Lord returns.

 
Template by Exotic Mommie and by Garcya