Saturday, January 26, 2008

Still No Answer....

and so we wait! The total damage to our car is $17,000. The blue book value of the car is between 15,000 and 20,000. So we are really looking at the insurance company just totaling it. They have heard the amount and have requested a Vehicle Inspection report (VIR). The VIR is the first step in their determination of what to do.

This has panicked me for several days now. I was in complete tears yesterday because we still owe a lot more than that and we don't have Gap insurance because we thought that our insurance would pay off our car (isn't that why you buy car insurance?). But it doesn't. So I was completely stressed. Because the reality is we will most likely be paying for a car we don't even have anymore.

The amount of stress is hard to even explain. Our friend, Chuck asked us to go last night with him and Charlene for her birthday. We decided that we (and when I say "we", I mean "I") needed a break, sometime to just not think about all the crap going on at home. So we went. It was Char's 35th birthday. We went to dinner and met their friends that also adopt, her name was Caroline and I am really crappy with names but I think his was Keith. They have 14 kids. (Chuck and Char have 9) After that we went to the Comedy club with them and Crystal. It was a great night. I was actually able to laugh and I didn't even think about the car (most of the night!)


(Top picture: From left to right, Crystal, Charlene and me)

Well, this also allowed Rob and I time to talk this whole thing out. And here's what we came up with. Even though the amount of money is crazy, it is probably better for us if they total the car. We owe alot more than it is worth and that would leave us with a debt for something we don't have. But the car, if it is fixed, will never be able to be traded in or sold. So we will have it until it dies and continue to pay for it. Financially, we would be better off just paying of the remainding amount after the insurance payment and then finding another realiable but cheap car to drive.


I feel much better about the whole thing. We will be okay!

But again we are in a holding pattern until State Farm decides what they want to do.

3 comments:

James and Sue MacFarlane said...

Your in His hands and He knows what is best to make us shine like Him!!!! We love you glad you had a good night and laughed it is a great medicine the Word says so!!!!

Julie said...

Keep your head up, sis! No matter what, He's in control and will work all things for your good! Love you and praying for you!

char said...

Sharon, thanks for pointing me in the right direction with smilebox. I love it! Stop keeping things like that from me. LOL!!! Char

 
Template by Exotic Mommie and by Garcya