Thursday, August 6, 2009

Visiting

I've still been helping my grandpa and grandma out. I went Monday to take Grandma to her physical therapy appointment and Grandpa stayed home to nap. It went well. I took Rowan and Nadine over to Oleander Park to look at the water for a minute. They weren't too interested, so we went to Once Upon a Child and discovered how expensive they were. I've decided to hit more garage sales for fall clothes. And then we took Grandma home.

Yesterday, I made Turkey Stuffed Cabbage for them for dinner and was supposed to go and take Grandma again to her appointment. When I arrived, Grandpa came straight to the door gave me a hug and told me he was taking her. He made the decision, it was his decision. He's sick of sitting around doing nothing and he was driving her. I could go home. He was nice to me, of course, he said thank you and such. But he was firm that he was driving her.
And I wasn't going to argue with him. So I said, if you're sure, I'm already here. He said "Yes, I'm driving her." So I left the dinner, gave them hugs and headed out.

Grandpa is really struggling with his independence. He has been blessed with a mind that has not deteriorated at all. So while his body seems to be failing, his mind is flourishing. That is driving him nuts. He doesn't want to sit and be waited on. He wants to go and do.

I left and called Uncle Jeff just to let him know that was the scenario and decided then since he was home and lives around the corner that I would go visit with him for a while. Nadine and Rowan love Uncle Jeff, especially since Uncle Jeff took them to McDonald's. After lunch, we went and hung out at his house and they got to play with his cats! :)

1 comments:

James and Sue MacFarlane said...

that's my dad.. God's in control. Uncle Jeff is one of the best..

 
Template by Exotic Mommie and by Garcya