Friday, February 6, 2009

Signs of the Times

Rob and I went to Franklin Park Mall today. We went just for a bit and really only hit Dick's (for some snow pants for Jourdyn for camp - all the other stores have gotten rid of them already - she usually wears mine, however I am going with her as a counselor so I will need mine) and just to walk around. I noticed something while there. I thought at first it was just in Wet Seal but then realized later, as I began to watch, that Motherhood Maternity, Gap, Lane Bryant, Express and many others were doing the same thing.

Now I notice weird things usually. This one jumped out at me because it would be of great help to me now that they are doing this!

Usually when you go into a mall retailer merchandise is hanging on the walls from floor to ceiling. You know, they put things all the way up, where even Shaq couldn't reach them. I'm sure it's to pack in as much as possible, but I more likely believe it's so that we are forced to ask for help. Once help is asked for we are only left to feel guilty if we don't actually purchase something.

Well, today, this was not the case. Again I noticed it first in one store, and thought perhaps they were just going out of business or something, but no such signs of that. No closing signs. No big sales. So I began watching the stores on our walk through the mall. And it wasn't just Wet Seal, it was numerous stores. Tons of the stores have lowered there racks. They were reachable by tall people. Not me, but tall people! They were low enough that Rob would have been able to reach up and remove something from the rack, which wasn't the case before.

Now of course, my mind pondered these things and when my wheels are turnin', it's usually quite obvious. So Rob asked me what I was doing, thinking maybe I was trying to scope out any sign of clearance racks. So I told him what I had noticed and that I was trying to figure out why that would be. Because I know they didn't all of the sudden decide to cater to short people (that's evident in the lack of my ability to find petite sizes anywhere but JCPenny's). I suggested that perhaps the mall had made some type of ruling or something. But duh! He had it to T!

If clothes are reachable and I don't need to ask for an employees help. That's one less employee they have to pay! Not only that, Wet Seal is a store that you cannot walk through really. It is usually so jammed packed with stuff that you just can't make it through without bumping something or someone. Not so today. The merchandise is just scaled back drastically. I'm sure the same could have been said about the other stores, but I was just too busy trying to figure out why they have empty walls up top!

And on a side note: Dillard had a HUGE shoe sale. A sidewalk one! Hundred's of shoes! Adorable shoes! and I just walked by! Well, okay I stopped at touched two pairs, but that's it! I didn't try them on! I didn't ask for any! I just touched a couple and moved on!!! Yeah, Me!!!!

1 comments:

Kyle said...

In some stores I am sure thats the case but realize that it is the end of the season. Stores cant stock spring and summer yet but people really arnt buying winter either. So they shelve what they have left and the rest waits. And lots of places are pretty strict about appearances of their floor, so they take down unused racks. It only looks like its sparse. And As for Dillards they do that about once a year.

 
Template by Exotic Mommie and by Garcya