Thursday, October 30, 2008

Decorating Dreams

If you have been in my house you know that my living room, dining room, dinette and kitchen area are all open. I had always dreamed of having a house like this, and I do love it! However, it has for the past year driven me nuts because I couldn't figure out how to decorate it. I love color!!! My old house the colors were bold and beautiful and with this one I have relegated them to three or four shades of tan and some aqua because what is done in one area has to carry through to the other areas. The biggest problem has been my lovely country blue countertops and walls in my kitchen. What do you with that shade of blue peering through the house?


Well, over the past week, I have figured it out! Right now, I have chocolate brown curtains with aqua sheers. I've linked to the picture of it. I found a material at Pottery Barn that I absolutely love! It will take what I already have and build color from it! It's a very classic looked but reworked for a modern twist! It's called Seraphina! It has oranges, yellows, reds, greens and the blue from kitchen counters all tied into it.

My plan is this: to drape each living room window with a sash of the material on top of what is already there, add red and orange throw pillows to my couches. Find a coordinating print for my grandpa's arm chairs and for a couple more throw pillows. I want to find a big sign for over my couch...kinda hard to explain but it's basically a parking garage sign (orange with white circle with big black P in the center of it). It will look good.

Then I want to use this same material to cover my dining room chair cushions. And find orange/red curtains for there and a cool accent rug for underneath.

In the kitchen I just have to pull the red and orange and green in because the blue is already there. I will mostly use this same pattern for the window covering in there!

I have the whole thing envisioned in my head! It's going to be great! I went to Joann's yesterday hoping I would find a similar material at a cheaper cost than Pottery barn. However, I didn't. And I discovered that at Joann's upholstery material is anywhere from $29.99 to 55.99 per yard and amazingly the material at Pottery barn is only $20 per yard! What stinks is I need about 15 yards. It's gonna cost $300.00 for the material. Which is why I entitled this decorating dreams...

Christmas is coming though and I'm not one for telling people what to get me! A gift is a gift! But gift cards from pottery bard would be a fantastical gift!!! I think I am going to start saving though! Because I really love the idea!

2 comments:

Heather said...

GIRL CHECK OUT IKEA.COM i think it's about 5.99-9.99 a yard and they have some neat stuff for fabric.

char said...

Love the colors!!!

 
Template by Exotic Mommie and by Garcya