Friday, October 3, 2008

Oatmeal Raisin Cookies

My grandmother passed away a couple of years ago now. I have some of her linens in my linen closet. Every so often when I open the door I can smell her. And if I pick up the linens and put them to my nose it's like burying my face in my grandma's bed. It's always a great way to think about her. It's amazing how our noses and minds can remember a smell.

Today, I had to pick up cookies from The Cookie Lady in Maumee for our thing at church tonight. And I decided to treat Rowan and I to some cookies. She had Oatmeal Raisin cookies, which I have not only not had for the past few years since Grandma passed away, but since she was so sick it's been a really long time since I've tasted one of her oatmeal raisin cookies. The Cookie Lady must have stolen my grandmother's recipe because with one bite my mind flooded with the most precious memories of my grandma. I probably could have ate every cookie she had in her case this morning. In fact, it's 1:30 in the afternoon and I can still taste the oatmeal raisin cookies in my mouth.

My grandma was a baker and there was never a time that we would arrive without her having oatmeal raisin and chocolate chip cookies. Even towards the end, the burnt cookies from her forgetting the oven was on, or the cookies that were missing ingredients were still the best cookies because they were grandma's cookies.

It was more than excellent to have a tangible, physical reminder of her today.

2 comments:

char said...

Sharon you must have a little bug in my house. Just last night Chuck and I was talking about smells and how a certain smell can remind you of someone. My grandma had a certain perfume she would wear and with my grandpa and Chuck's grandpa it was the smell of a pipe. It looks like were on the same page today. I'll see ya tonight.

Julie said...

I love those moments, even though they're bittersweet! They rate right up there with the moments with the kids (or in your case, your hubby too). God sure is wonderful for giving us all those different kinds of love, huh?!

 
Template by Exotic Mommie and by Garcya