Monday, June 7, 2010

Red Door

So I've been told by friends that our red door has made national news...I can't find it anywhere other than Sandusky Register but hey, I believe them. Here's the story of the red door.

Rob and I were the first on the scene yesterday morning.  Towards the middle of the pile of rubble we found the front door.  It didn't have things laying on it and there was nothing but mud and dirt below it.  The storm tore off the whole front piece that held the door. The door was intact in its frame, which was inside the wall that it was originally on. It was just about 100-200 ft away from where it should have been, lying face down. The glass was broken and there was a little damage, but the door was the only part of the house that was whole. Every other piece of the farm house was destroyed and yet the door remained. 

I, immediately told Rob to get it up. He wasn't sure why. So I explained that it was the one thing that remained in it's entirety and it shouldn't be broken by people walking on it.  He found some stuff to pull it off the hinges, removed the door and laid it near the front porch, out of the way.  I've always loved the door. Before we moved in in Dec 2005, it was white.  I'm a colorful person and a white door on a white house just wasn't doing it for me. It needed painted, so I figured what the heck! Red it is!

My mother-in-law (it was her home, we just lived there for a couple of years) wasn't as fond of the red as I was, but she just said she would paint it later if it didn't grow on her.  It must of grew on her because the red door is still red.

By the end of the night on Sunday, I'm not sure which brother had the idea but the door was lifted from the ground and raised to the porch, propped up and became a symbol of memories, a reminder of the home that once stood there.  We even posed for pictures as a family in front of the front door and were able to smile in the midst of tragedy.

I can't find my pictures of the home when we lived in it.  I found interior but not exterior pictures. I know I have them somewhere, but I just can't find them. 

3 comments:

James and Sue MacFarlane said...

check 24/7 cable news - that is what plays at work - where I saw it.

James and Sue MacFarlane said...

HE ( Jesus) is the Door...

James and Sue MacFarlane said...

Read Phillipians and know His joy. We are made to glorify Him and know we love you

 
Template by Exotic Mommie and by Garcya