Friday, February 1, 2008

Carmina Burana - Toledo Symphony

First, here are some more pics of our night with Chuck and Char last week!

Well, a big thank you to my favorite talk radio station, WSPD. I won tickets to the Toledo Symphony's performance of Carmina Burana. Dad came over and watch the kids this evening so Rob and I could go. It was awesome! I've posted a video, not from tonight, but it will show you what the music was. You will know it! It's very popular! BGSU's choruses song in the concert! One of my old profs was in the chorus.




DON'T FORGET TO PAUSE THE MUSIC AT THE BOTTOM! On the video, you will see the Latin lyrics, which are actually medieval poems that Orff put to music in I believe the 1930's. But here are the translated lyrics. They are quite interesting.


"O Fortune, like the moon you are changeable, ever waxing, and waning; hateful life first oppresses and then soothes as fancy takes it; poverty and power it melts them like ice. Fate - monstrous and empty, you whirling wheel, you are malevolent, well-being is vain and always fades to nothing, shadowed and veiled you plague me too; now through the game I bring my bare back to your villiany. Fate is against me in health and virtue, driven on and weighted down, always enslaved. So at this hour without delay pluck the vibrating strings; since Fate strikes down the string man, everyone weep with me!"


2 comments:

Julie said...

Hi Sis!
Lucky you! I love Carmina Burana - used to have a CD but had to sell it. Glad you had a good time - call me soon, we'll talk some more then!

James and Sue MacFarlane said...

Glad you get out!! Need it with kids.. Connie and I had cheese and tea nights. ask Julie if she remembers - put the kids to bed and enjoy!!!

 
Template by Exotic Mommie and by Garcya